Friday, April 29, 2011

Modern-Day Hippies



With classes ending and finals just around the corner for some of us, summer is just right around the corner. And you know what that means. Break out your daisy dukes and get ready for the happiest, freest months of your life again. Ahhh yes. Don’t you just love this time of year?

There’s something about summer that makes my soul feel like bursts of joy are exploding in me every day. No disrespect to spring or winter, but the combination of 80-degree temperatures and lazy beach days is what I live for.

Summer always brings out the best fashion, in my opinion. Yes, I know, summer doesn’t actually require very many clothes (if any at all. we all know a heat wave is coming!). But in fashion, it has never been about how many items of clothing you are wearing that determine your style. It’s the person and the energy of the outfit that makes summer fashion unique.

Which brings me to my next point. I love summer fashion because to me, summer fashion represents everything about my favorite time in history: the hippie culture of the 1960s. From the wavy, messy beach hair to the worn-and-torn shirts to the flower headbands, the fashion of the 1960s always seems to make a huge return on runways and in clothing stores around this time of year.

Jimi Hendrix and his naked hippie ladies

One of the year’s biggest music festivals, Coachella, is an amazing place to witness fashion and the resurrection of hippie style in our culture. I am always inspired by many of the outfits and looks from each year's festival. 








I like to call it effortless cool. Takes very little time to put together, but you can still manage to put together a chic ensemble none-the-less. So it’s no wonder that designers and fashion magazines are all starting to catch onto this style.


In case you've been living under a rock, hippie culture is back, just with a twist. Instead of LSD and acid, our generation is hooked on social networking and communicating via Twitter, texts, and email. Tattoos and piercings are more prominent. Being a free spirit never looked so modern!

Honestly, if it was up to me, I would dress just like this all the time. Actually, if it was up to me, I would probably just be naked....but that's besides the point! There's something about wearing ripped jean shorts, a bright, neon tank, laying underneath a warm summer night in a hammock. Delicious.

Will you be incorporating hippie style into your wardrobe this season?

1 comment: